Gradland is, not surprisingly, a former grad student. She completed her PhD in Comparative Literature in May 2012 (dissertation title: Embracing the Demon: Monstrous Children in Japanese Literature and Cinema, 1946-2008). Having decided, for various reasons, not to seek an academic job, she now works as a web content writer in Tokyo but tries to keep one foot in the academic world. When she’s not reading, writing or contemplating the bleak future of academia she enjoys downloading new recipes and making a mess in the kitchen. She tries to keep this blog semi-anonymous (though at this point most people probably know who she is), but if you’d like to contact her please just leave a comment somewhere on the blog and she’ll get back to you.
- Had a "You use chopsticks well!" moment today, but the little old man looked so thrilled to be using English that I didn't get annoyed. 1 day ago
- Me last year: You're eating panettone for *breakfast*? Me this year: Morning, want some panettone? 2 days ago
- Japanese TV show teaser: "She hangs out with dozens of half-naked men every night!" (Reveal: she's a pro boxer.) 3 days ago
- Hooray, co-workers chose a shabu-shabu place for our team bonenkai (end of year party)! 4 days ago
- And the dinner table! I ate two muffins. Because it's gluttony day. http://t.co/5zdaqWuDKf 6 days ago
Blogs I Follow